Every year, November 19 is celebrated as International Men’s Day, a day to acknowledge men who are making a positive difference and to raise awareness of issues that affect men and boys on a global scale. On this special day, we list some of the basic, yet, important health tips that men can follow to maintain balance and live a healthy life.
As men are eight times less likely to see a doctor than women, and suicide rates for men are five times higher, it’s more important than ever to educate and encourage men to care for their own physical and mental well-being.
A healthy lifestyle is not just an absence of disease, but an opportunity to enjoy the years of life available. Ayurveda can help the body maintain its performance as it ages. Ayurveda has all kinds of solutions for the different age groups of men and their problems. It is important for men to understand the role of Ayurveda in not only helping them treat their health disorders but also to live a stress-free and balanced life. Below given are a few Ayurvedic tips that can help men live a healthier, happier and longer life:
- Be physically active. According to Ayurveda, exercising daily has varied benefits as it brings sthiratva (stability) for your physical and mental well-being. It does so by keeping your metabolism active by clearing the transport channels (srotas) in the body. Ayurveda also recommends exercises as per your body constitution. For e.g. Kapha type people have a solid built and they can do intense workouts but they are usually a bit lazy. Regular exercise is a must for them, which may include long-distance running or jogging.
- Say no to tobacco. Quitting can be one of the hardest things any smoker does. To help you quit smoking, Ayurveda has several tools including medicinal cigarettes (dhumapana), Ayurvedic home remedies and dietary tips. Dhumapana contains a combination of Ayurvedic herbs that help fight cravings and reduce withdrawal symptoms. However, one must consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before using them.
- Manage your stress levels.Stress can affect anyone, at any time, regardless of sex. However, the way men and women manage stress differs greatly. Men are more likely to withdraw socially when stressed. Studies have also shown that stress-related to home, work, and relationships is a leading cause of psychological impotence in men. Therefore, try to restore and refresh your mind by engaging yourself in the activities you like doing. Take a walk in nature, talk to friends and loved ones. Let them know how you're feeling and how they can help. Don’t use drugs or alcohol in an attempt to deal with your stress. Herbs like ashwagandha, shatavari, vidari, and licorice can help you to control stress and nourish your body.
- Watch what you eat. ‘Aahar’ or food has been given much importance by Ayurveda as it is the building block of the human body. Ayurveda considers that just eating food is not enough, proper ‘Aahar Pachan’ (digestion) is essential for good health and well-being. To achieve this, one must eat as per an individual’s body constitution and should follow Ayurvedic principles of eating.Try to include locally grown, seasonal fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid eating heavy foods and sweets in the night.
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep hygiene is crucial. Go to bed and get up around the same time every day. Sleep in a cool, quiet, dark place. Don’t watch TV or use your phone in bed. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Use Ayurvedic herbs for building muscles. In order to have the macho look, men are resorting to many unhealthy practices and fitness supplements, sometimes resulting in the permanent loss of health. Ayurveda has much to speak about keeping the body fit & healthy. Many researchers show that Ayurvedic Herbs like Ashwagandha and Shilajit supports healthy tissue regeneration, elevates energy levels, enhances endurance and rejuvenates the body from within, that too without any side effects.
- Nurture positive relationships.Strengthening relationships with good friends is a great way to relax and improve your mood. Be present with your loved ones. Avoid excessive use of gadgets and live in the moment with those around you. Help others. Be kind. Smile and laugh more. Complain less.
- Use mindfulness. Consider activities that allow for self-reflection. Meditation, yoga, and other “centering” activities can help start you on this process and further expand your mind. At the end of your day, reflect on something you learned and how you can use that to improve your tomorrow.
- Preventive health. Why is preventive care so important? Preventative care can help you keep up good health, and detect any health issues early before they become a major challenge, which can help you have a better quality of life for you and your family. Therefore, it is advisable to get routine exams and screenings for diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol and prostate cancer.
- Early advice from an Ayurvedic doctor. Seeking early advice from an Ayurvedic doctor for any illness can help eradicate the problem from its root. Besides offering personalized treatment and remedies, Ayurveda suggests customized diet and lifestyle tips that help boost the immune system and develop the body's resistance to fight off diseases and have active life throughout.
Please understand that your body is a sophisticated and complex series of interdependent systems that require adequate maintenance (healthy lifestyle and routine) to make it last a long time and to function well throughout your life expectancy. If your body goes out of sync, you may end up getting diseases like hypertension, heart diseases, diabetes, blood pressure, liver problems and prostate disorders – diseases commonly seen in men at the age of 30s or 40s. Therefore, learning to listen to the body’s warning signs and symptoms is crucial. For any health queries, please feel free to get in touch with our expert Ayurvedic doctors. We’ll be happy to assist you with good health and well-being!
Be the first to comment.